Here are some things to consider when deciding to work with a real estate agent:
- Choose the person and not their experience. You want to choose an agent that will work for and with you. You will be spending a lot of time with that agent, make sure that they are good at communicating. Experience is great. But, it is not everything.
- Ask for credentials. Does the agent do a lot of business and have lots of recommendations and/or reviews?
- Look at their experience. How many homes has the agent sold in the last 12 months?
- Probe their knowledge of the market. Is it a seller’s market or a buyer’s market? How long is it taking for homes to sell?
- Find an agent you can trust. Ask questions. Does the agent have answers or know where to find the answers?
- Find a compassionate agent who understands you. You need an agent who is patient with you and your circumstances. Selling a home is stressful. Make sure the agent knows your goals.
- Make sure there is a clear line of communication. You need to know that when you have a question or situation, that get an answer in a timely manner.
- Make sure they are available when you need them, like evenings and/or weekends.